Take a look at last week’s market recap from Joe Gallemore, CIMA® Partner & Director of Investment Management for Argent Bridge Advisors. Watch the video now!
Stocks saw a strong bounce back during the middle of last week. But the rally was muted on Friday as soft employment data came out and suggested that economic growth may slow if hiring is slowing down.
This leaves the S&P 500 index still in Bear market territory so far for 2022. It’s nice to see these intermittent rallies but we think it’s reasonable to expect continued volatility in both stock and bond markets.
While we at Argent Bridge are trying to set this grounded expectation, we also want to foster a tone of patience and confidence as weather the market downturn.
Positives to focus on in this environment
- Bond strategies are paying more income. Same goes for Savings accounts and money markets.
- Price corrections create buying opportunity.
- For professional fund managers
- For regular contributors to a retirement account (401Ks, TSPs, 403Bs, etc)
- For those with extra cash to put to work
- Remember to control what you can control:
- Reviewing Expenses – Reviewing expenses to identify areas where spending can be discretionary, or even put on pause for a while.
- Thinking about your Spending Behavior – Being intentional about the timing of known purchases or doing more comparison shopping.
- Sticking to your investment plan – Don’t make changes driven by emotion
- Make it easier to stick to your plan – Control those things which affect your emotions
- Here’s what we’re doing behind the scenes
- Strategic opportunities in your accounts: Roth IRA conversions, tax-losses harvesting
- Investment opportunities within your portfolio: Proactive rebalancing, diversifying concentrated positions, opportunistically put cash to work.
- Utilizing low-risk savings vehicles such as Treasury bonds & CDs.
We are hard at work trying to give you the feeling that Everything that can be done is being done. And we wanted to provide these positive takeaways to help you do the same.